It's finally happened - in 1962, for the first time in Grammy history, Frank Sinatra was not nominated for Album of the Year! (It's only the 4th year, but still...)
After a year off, however, Henry Mancini finds his way back to the nomination board. And Nat King Cole is back for his second straight nomination.
Finally, I believe we have our first completely unavailable album: Great Band with Great Voices, Si Zentner & the Johnny Mann Singers. Additionally, Genius+Soul=Jazz is available on YouTube, but not Spotify.
You'll have 10 days, or so, to listen to the nominees and make your own decisions before the official reveal.
The 1962 nominees for Album of the Year were:
- Breakfast at Tiffany's Soundtrack, Henry Mancini
- Genius+Soul=Jazz, Ray Charles
Great Band with Great Voices, Si Zentner & the Johnny Mann Singers
- Judy at Carnegie Hall, Judy Garland
- The Nat King Cole Story, Nat King Cole
- West Side Story Soundtrack, various artists (music by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim)