Cliburn and Mancini have fallen, but Frank Sinatra stands strong: 1961 marks the third straight year he was nominated for the Grammy's Album of the Year. How much longer can he keep this perfect streak alive?
1961 also marks the first time an opera or comedy album has been nominated in the Album of the Year category.
Finally... Harry Belafonte is back! Can he recapture lighting in a bottle with Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall??
You'll have a week, or so, to listen to the nominees and make your own decisions, before the official reveal.
The 1961 nominees for Album of the Year were:
- Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall, Harry Belafonte
- Brahms: Concert No. 2 in B-Flat, Sviatoslav Richter
- The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart, Bob Newhart
- Nice 'n' Easy, Frank Sinatra
- Puccini: Turandot, Erich Leinsdorf
- Wild Is Love, Nat King Cole